Many of us dream of a new healthier life in the upcoming New Year. But for most of us it's more of a dream than a reality to make big changes that stick. We often get tired when the bar is set too high.
– By making small adjustments to our lives, we can actually feel better, have more energy and look better in the New Year without feeling like we are sacrificing our entire lifestyle in the process, says Dr Elisabet Nordström, Wellness Nutritionist at Oriflame.
GOAL: I WANT TO LOOK HEALTHIER, HAVE THICKER HAIR, STRONGER NAILS AND BETTER SKIN.
Elisabet recommends: Drink plenty of water and take vitamins!
– Beauty literally comes from the inside, and one small step you can take everyday is to make a habit out of taking vitamins together with your meal. Did you know that the only living part of your hair is the root? Imagine a plant when the roots do not get enough nutrition.
- Vitamins containing iron, L-Lysine and procyanidin give your hair and your nails new life for the New Year.
- Omega-3 provides your skin with hydration and elasticity from the inside.
- Try the miracle vitamin astaxanthin which contains powerful antioxidants (6000 times stronger than vitamin C), and it also provides you with built-in sun protection.
GOAL: I WANT TO STOP STRESSING AND FEEL BETTER.
Elisabet recommends: Take a break from your everyday life!
– Many of us have sedentary jobs and forget to move around enough every day. Try taking a 15 minute walk at lunch. You'll get natural light, fresh air, and exercise, all of which will actually boost your well-being and efficiency for the rest of the day.
- Set up hourly reminders on your phone. Enter your own personalized messages, such as "Take a break", "Stand up and move around" or "Drink a glass of water."
- Make a habit of taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Walk the talk and schedule a walking meeting. Fresh air drives fresh thinking!
GOAL: I WANT TO FEEL BETTER, HAVE MORE ENERGY, OR REACH MY TARGET WEIGHT.
Elisabet recommends: Eat right!
– Eating right and providing your body with the right kind of energy is important, whether your goal is to reach a certain weight, get stronger, faster, healthier, or just feel better.
- Replace the beer, wine, juice, milk or soft drinks in your diet with water.
- Choose whole grain products that fill you up and also contain more vitamins and minerals than white flour pasta, rice, and bread.
- Drink a shake in between meals or when you feel cravings. It will also help you keep your energy levels up.
- Most importantly: do not give up, says Elisabet.
- Remember to note your successes, even if they are small.